Many of us are afraid of the dentist. The sound of a drill buzzing is enough to get your heart racing, and the smells and awkwardness of having your teeth worked on doesn’t exactly make it easier to put that dental appointment on your list.
If that wasn’t enough, understanding common dental procedures and how many of them are conducted has also given people more reasons to avoid the dentist. Given what we know now about two major dental procedures, who can blame them?
The problem with root canals
Teeth are similar to other organ systems in the body in that they require a blood supply, lymphatic and venous drainage, and nervous innervations. Root canals, however, are dead teeth, and they can become one of the worst sources of chronic bacterial toxicity in your body.
Keep in mind that if any other organ in your body dies, it will need to be removed so bacteria and necrosis will not set in and kill you, but unfortunately, dead teeth are commonly left inside the body. Teeth have roots with main canals and side canals, and in those side canals are nerves. When a root canal is performed, the nerves from the main canals are removed, but there is no access to the side canals, which have dead nerves left behind in those spaces.
Anaerobic bacteria that do not require oxygen to survive live in these side canals and release toxins that cause chronic infection. The blood supply and lymphatics that surround these teeth drain this toxicity and allow it to spread through the entire body. This allows it to invade organs and cause all kinds of disease processes like autoimmune diseases, cancer, IBS, depression, and more.
The longer these teeth stay in your body, the more your immune system becomes compromised. And don’t think antibiotics will work – these bacteria are protected inside the dead tooth.
If an infected tooth requires removal for some reason, consider a holistic dentist who utilizes the extraction technique, which removes ligaments and material to encourage infection free healing.
The toxicity of dental amalgams
Dental amalgam fillings can release mercury, tin, copper, and silver into the body. These metals have various degrees of toxicity, and when used as fillings for teeth, can corrode or disassociate into metallic ions. These ions then migrate from the tooth to the root, the mouth, the bone, the connective tissues of the jaw, and finally into the nerves. This allows them to travel into the central nervous system, where the ions will permanently reside; disrupting the body’s normal functioning if they are not removed.
While all metals used for dental restoration are toxic, the most harmful are mercury dental amalgams (silver) used for fillings. These “silver fillings” contain 50 percent mercury and only 25 percent silver. Mercury has been recognized as a poison since the 1500s, yet they have been used in dentistry since the 1820s.
As accurately stated by Richard D. Fischer, D.D.S., “I don’t feel comfortable using a substance (mercury amalgams) designated by the EPA to be a waste disposal hazard. I can’t throw it in the trash, bury it in the ground, or put it in a landfill, but they say it’s okay to put it in people’s mouths. That doesn’t make sense”.
Also keep in mind that due to its mineral content, saliva in the mouth is electrically conductive. When saliva interacts with a dental restoration containing metal, a battery is created causing an effect known as electrogalvanism. This is quite simply electricity generated by a person’s fillings.
The saliva acts as a conductant and the dissimilar metal fillings try to neutralize each other to balance out the electrical charge. This causes toxic materials from the filling to erode and leak into the body.
This is why it is important to avoid mercury fillings and have existing ones properly removed by a biological dentist.
How to naturally clean up your oral health
One of the easiest ways to start cleaning up your oral health is to consume more nutrient dense whole foods rooted in organic produce. Do this at the expense of flours, sugars, and processed foods that create acidity and eventually prevent proper absorption of nutrients.